Life as a single Mother, raising two children, running a business, and dipping my toe into the raging dating river is enough to put you in a stark white room. However, I want to hit the proverbial jackpot...well adjusted kids, successful career, peaceful life, loving relationships, and a pre-pregnancy body .... :D

Saturday, August 20, 2011

And the Countdown to the First Day of School Begins



I homeschooled my daughter last year so I feel as if I may be out of the loop. Is it just me or am I just one of many parents who have a problem with furnishing not just your student, but the whole class, with school supplies? Wait. Let me backup. Seeing that school will be back in session in a matter of days, if not already for many of you, I am certain that your child's School Supply List is in your possession by now. Have you reviewed it? Does yours read like mine?

2 boxes of crayons
2 - 24 packs of pencils
6 glue sticks
3 boxes of Kleenex
blah blah...

Since when does a second grader use 48 pencils and 6 glue sticks in one school year? Yours, maybe. Mine, not so much. If they do that much writing and gluing something is really wrong. But lo and behold, as I scroll down to the bottom of the list, in bold print, I see:

*****All supplies will be shared in the classroom*****

Shared in the classroom? How about I buy my daughter's supplies (and label them) and replenish them as necessary. Like in the old days...when I was a kid. The "sharing" of supplies kinda aggravates me. On one hand, it appears as if, what I believe to be extra supplies are for the teachers' supply closet. On the other hand, if just feels as if I am buying supplies for someone else's child. My niece's Supply List  was just as interesting in that it listed a ream of printer paper as a needed school supply....she's a first grader! So, if a class has 25 students...do the math.

As for me, I am going to be a rebel. What can I say? I will only supply resources for my student. It would be different if they were upfront and simply made an open request for parents to help them with extra supplies. 
The horned dude on my shoulder will persuade my sister to question that one during her Meet the Teacher event.

Open House will be next week. I think I will ask the question at that time. If you happen to be there, don't shrink away as if you weren't wondering the same thing. I mean, what are they gonna do? Make me?

Do you have a different perspective on this? Are you a teacher that can shed some light on this issue? I need clarity.

*As you shop for your supplies, whether for your student or the whole darn class, don't forget the Wal-Mart price match. One stop shopping at its best!

ALL Backpacks, Messengers, Slings & Totes on sale! Fashion Backpacks as low as $7 8/21-8/27

Online Only! EXTRA 10% off Kids Apparel with code KSCHOOL10 8/21-8/27

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Purses from BagInc starting at $29! Click Here!
Twitter Bird Gadget